Thursday, August 21, 2008

Define Love...

Remember that very important question in slumnotes or slumbooks , "What is love?", followed by the more important question "WHo is your love?" . If you were in high school in the 80's, you'd know what I am talking about. If not, then you were not "in"! Hehe, just kidding. For people in later generation, this may be a foreign concept...I think Friendster replaced slumbooks, which is sad because it really was a nice experience, corny but nice 


Anyways, I remember that I always tried to think of a really smart definition (because my crush would likely read my answers ) and I remember not really coming up with any thing smart or original. That's probably understandable right? I was in high school, what did I know about love?! To me back then, it was that giddy feeling you have when you see your "love" in campus, or when he says hi, or when he looks your way...Hehe, anyways, moving on...I also remember that the most popular definition of love was "Love is like a rosary that is full of mystery!"


Now that I am much older and more experienced in the art of love (naks!), I believe that love is a mystery to the extent that we can't fully explain why we love the people we love and why we have to love even the most unlovable person. But as to what love is, that is not really a mystery. The Bible says it all: Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)

You've probably heard that definition before (I'm thinking of Mandy Moore's movie - yes the one that made you cry because she died of cancer) and thought it sweet, but when you consider closely how God defines it and how we are commanded to love our neighbors as we love ourself, then it becomes really heavy stuff. 

There is a girl whom I know who at one moment you would hear say "Oh my gosh, I really love this girl!", only to hear her badmouth the same person because of a seemingly petty thing after a few days. And I used to think to myself that she really had it wrong, but I realize that I am no different from her. 


I love my family, I love my husband, I love my friends, and yet, so many times, I am quick to judge them, and be offended or even just irritated by things they have done. And how sometimes I can't seem to forget the times I felt they have wronged me. 

Do you get easily irritated when your husband leaves dirty clothes lying around? When he does not lift the toilet bowl? Do you embarrass him in front of other people? DO you get mad at him when he forgets your anniversary? (Now, I am not saying you're just to let him be a sloth or a forgetful husband. Not at all. All I'm saying is that there are nicer, sweeter, loving ways to act and react and still get the message across - or get a
nice anniversary gift ). 

Do you get mad at the guy who cut the line? How about the one who cut you on the road? How about the slow-moving server at that fast food chain who can't get your order right? DOn't you just think to yourself sometimes that he is a moron?

Love seems to be one of the most loosely used and misused words in the vocabulary and  oftentimes we fail to grasp what it really means. When we say "I love You", it's as if we are saying, " I love You because you did something or have something that makes me happy".

By God's definition, I realize love is not a word to mince with. It is a big word, and to love is a tall order. Every time I am near the point of impatience, of being rude and unkind, of taking offense, I stop for a moment to realize how God says I should act with people whom I claim I love. More importantly, I think of the people whom GOd says, I am supposed to love. 

I don't always succeed, but that's the best thing about God. I know HE loves me and therefore he patiently waits until I get love right!

I wish I knew all these in my slumnote-writing days! Boy, won't my "love" think I'm really smart!?


No comments: