Friday, October 24, 2008

My Life Instruction Book

For a large period in my life, I was drawn to self-help books and television talk-shows like Oprah (there was really a time when I was crazy about Oprah!) because, like most people, I was trying to find the right way or better way to live my life. I wanted to know how to be a better person in this world: a better daughter, sister, partner, friend. I wanted to know how to stay positive amidst challenges in life; how to hurdle the storm; how to deal with loss; how to reach my dreams. I wanted to know the How TO's in life. 

And then I started reading the Bible, and stumbled upon the greatest discovery or discoveries of my life. 

First, I discovered that it is actually fun reading the Bible. It's like going through a history book with a great plot and interesting subplots, and really fascinating characters. You will be surprised at how engaging it can be. There are times when you won't be able to put it down, and there are times when y
ou have no choice but to put it down, because what you've just read is too strong, you really have to pause and ponder God's word.

Second and more importantly, is that it contains all the How-To's I'll ever need in my life. I finally found a book that I can rely on to tell me how I should live all aspects of my life. The best thing is that it is not written by just some author. It is actually God's word, made available to me. 

I used to see the Bible as this grand book that did contain God's truth, but for some reason I perceived it to be something I will never understand by myself. Somehow, I was content to leave the reading of the Bible to the priests and then I would just listen to his sermon. I felt intimidated by it. I was quite sure that if I read it, I would burn or something. I thought it was something born-again Christians use to make others feel like losers. And yes, God forgive me, I believed it was boring and not really worth staying up late for. 

The truth is there is more to the Bible than the great bible stories we heard as a child. It contains so much more great and powerful truths about God and HIS word and how He wants us, HIS children to live our lives. What's really amazing is that the revelation you'll get from God when you read it is never going to be the same as that of the next person. And even if you read the same chapter or book twice, you will never be drawn to the same passage. I believe it's because God knows the perfect message to give us, one that is perfect to our circumstance, whether we are looking for answers or comfort from pain and heartaches. 

Maybe you want to know how to deal with an unfair boss, a stressful job, a failing career, an erring husband, a failed marriage, loss, death in the family, trials. Maybe you want to know how to be a woman, wife and mother (or a man, husband and father) after God's own heart. Whatever you need in life, you'll find it in the bible.

Oprah and Dr. Phil still have their place in the sun, but trust me, once you've read the Bible, you won't even need them.

Or better yet, don't trust my word on it. I say, open your bible, or get one, and you too will be watching less TV and spending less on self-help books :)

P.S. - If you are going to get one, I recommend the NIV (New international version) because it is the simplest translation. And get a study bible if you can. It will be very helpful as you study the context by which the books were written. God's word is a double-edged sword that's why it is often used or misused to mislead people. It is always important to understand the context, and of course, important to pray for guidance from God every time you read it. 


No comments: